With my previous entry, I wrapped up an impromptu series of articles that chronicled my childhood experiences in Poland and compared the culture I grew up with to the American society that I'm living in today. For the readers who want to be able to navigate the series without scrolling endlessly, I wanted to put together a quick table of contents - so here it goes.
The entry that started it all:
- "On journeys" - a personal story recounting my travels from Poland to the US.
Oh, the places you won't go:
- The politics of Poland - a retrospective look at the politics of a state emerging from under a communist rule,
- Polonia in the United States - looking at the Polish diaspora in the States and its connection to the homeland.
Poland vs the United States:
- Firearms - a look at the gun culture of the United States (bonus: some interesting stats to boot),
- Civil liberties - a comparison of the attitudes toward a couple of fundamental freedoms,
- Friends & acquitances - on small talk, interpersonal attitudes, and workplace relationships,
- Suburban sprawl - a look at suburban living and the rural America,
- The cutting edge of technology - the role of high-tech gadgets and design aesthetics in everyday lives,
- Crime and punishment - the attitudes to sentencing and incarceration,
- Immigration - the differing sentiments toward migrants and cultural assimilation,
- Governance - comparing European unitary governments and the United States,
- Work and entitlements - on employment law and the American Dream,
- American exceptionalism - the perils and the necessity of arrogance.